Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Great restaurant for Fish eaters.

When I classify fisheaters I put them into 2 types, 1 fisheaters – those who genuinely enjoy fish and some others who are comfortable with ‘seafood’ in fancy restaurants. For some time now in Pune the lack of the first type of restaurants has meant that I had to frequent the second type more often.
The only one I had visited was in Deccan and near the bus depot and I don’t remember the name – maybe because the experience was not the best. Others like Mahesh lunch home probably started as a fish eatery but then is a wannabe fancy seafood joint.
So recently when someone mentioned a fish restaurant in the city, I was not too hopeful – as I could not imagine what was a good fish restaurant doing in Shaniwar Peth / Narayan Peth. But then I decided to travel the long distance just to take a chance – so bored I was with the other type of seafood.
This is a hardcore eaters place – clean but no fancy decoration, just a line of tables and benches – in the classic udupi fashion in Mumbai.
The Menu has many parts – but we focused on the fish part and gave the chicken and veg part a complete miss. You can go for A la carte or then a fish thali + a la carte. Our family had parts opting for both options and you can also go either way and try the other next time around.
The food is good and more importantly authentic goan / maharashtrian kokan / karwari and should satisfy a good fish eater.
Great items to try – Bangda Karnataka and Pomphret Pedavan. Tandoori crab was good – but then you will have patience and strength to break the shell with your hands and teeth.
The owner is helpful with suggestions and you can listen to all of them – but follow your heart (or should I say toungue). It is next to Kanyashala in Narayan Peth / Shaniwarpeth.

1 comment:

roses said...

The contents are really good…
rosesandgifts.com